In industrial imaging, increasing detector dose efficiency allows more materials to be scanned by reducing the scan time. Unfortunately, this increase in speed usually comes at the cost of image resolution. Using a resolution enhancement algorithm (REA) offers a solution that enables rapid, high-resolution imaging by employing physics-based image processing to remove the blur caused by the X-ray high efficiency conversion screen.
The REA was developed as part of a suite of software tools in a cone beam computed tomography (CBCT) 3-D reconstruction pipeline. Because the REA works on the individual projection images, it can also be applied to industrial projection radiography.
Other software tools include:
- Scatter Correction: Corrects for the effects of scatter of the beam as it passes through the object (and any table or platform) being scanned. Scatter is the single biggest source of artifacts and reconstruction errors in CBCT, due to the minimal amount of beam collimation. This tool also works on the projection image and, like REA, can be applied to single 2-D images.
- Beam Hardening Correction: Corrects for the effects of "hardening" of the X-ray beam as it passes through the object.
- FDK Reconstruction: Creates the 3-D data set from a series of projection images utilizing the FDK algorithm. There are several choices of filters for the filtered back projection, and it can work on a CPUs or a GPU for increased speed.
- Lag Correction: Corrects for the lag, or residual signal on the detector, from one projection to the next.
- Ring Correction: Corrects for ring artifacts, caused by small gain linearity differences between adjacent detectors.
- Normalization: Normalizes the input projection data based on an input air normalization file.
- Hounsfield Unit Adjustments: Corrects the CBCT data to give unit values appropriate to the material scanned.
- Customer-developed Plugin: Allows for insertion of customized processing steps in addition to or in place of the standard reconstruction pipeline tool set.
This suite of CBCT software tools for industrial imaging enables rapid development of precise 3-D imaging for niche applications. This is advantageous in industrial imaging where many applications are unique because of the wide spectrum of possible detectors, objects of interest, materials, and imaging geometries.
For more information on CBCT, download our datasheet.